South Midwood was built by Real Estate Developers at the turn of the century. The land was purchased as large tracts from Dutch Families who had owned the farms in Flatbush. In 1901, the South Midwood Resident Association was founded, an organization that remains a vital force in the community today. In honor of the neighborhood’s centennial in 2001, the City Council restored the original names of South Midwood’s tree-lined streets: Kenmore Place (East 21st Street), Elmore Place (East 22nd Street), Delamere Place (East 23rd Street) and Mansfield Place (East 24th Street). Names with “Sense and Sensibility.”South Midwood, like other Victorian Flatbush neighborhoods, offers urban convenience and suburban spaciousness. A vigorous Neighborhood Association meets regularly, offering residents the opportunity to share experiences and ideas. It sponsors a large community garden (located on the Brooklyn College grounds, adjacent to the Athletic field), organizes a tour of homeowners gardens in spring. The owners of the approximately 400 homes that make up South Midwood reflect the diversity of origin and lifestyle that make it a dynamic destination.

For information about the neighborhood today, please contact the South Midwood Association President: Warren Dingott, 718.859.2510.
South Midwood